This tender Keto Chinese BBQ Pork recipe (aka Char Siu Pork) tastes just like the traditional recipe but low carb with no added sugar.
We prefer to use pork butt (also called neck or scotch fillet) as it is marbled with fat and connective tissue which stops the pork from becoming dry and adds to the stickiness of the sauce. If you can’t get pork neck, the shoulder is also a good option. This BBQ Pork recipe makes 6 serves, which is half of each strip.
Keto Chinese BBQ Pork Ingredients
- 2 pounds of Pork Butt (Neck/Scotch), cut lengthways into 3 evenly sized long strips
- ¼ cup of Low Carb Sweet Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons of Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice Powder
- Red Food Colouring, optional
How to Make Chinese BBQ Pork
- In a small bowl, combine the Low Carb Sweet Soy, sesame oil, garlic, five-spice, and a few drops of food colouring (if using).
- Place the 3 pieces of pork butt into a suitable dish for marinating – glass or ceramic will prevent the transfer of the colouring to the dish.
- Pour half the marinade over the pork and, wearing food-safe disposable gloves, massage the marinade into the pork.
- Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight. Store the remaining marinade in the fridge to be used for basting when the pork is cooking.
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F.
- Line a roasting tray with foil, add the roasting rack and spray lightly with oil.
- Place the strips of pork onto the rack, baste with the leftover marinade, and place them into the oven.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes (depending on the thickness of your pork), turning and basting with the marinade 2 or 3 times.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving with Asian greens or Cauliflower Rice.